Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Let 9/11 remind us "We are only here for a Moment". Make the moment count.

It's raining here today in the metro New York City area. I like to remember the things the old folks use to tell me about rain when I was little. It rained because God was crying. Whether you believe in a higher being or not, I think God or Mother Nature or The Earth is crying over how we as a race (human beings) have treated one another.

Of course today reminds me of where I was 6 years ago on September 11, 2001 and how my fellow New Yorkers and Americans were treated that day. But whether you are an American or live in another country, there is probably a similar day in your culture that may bring the same kind of memories.

We are only here for a moment. The question is in that moment can we make the world a better place. I'm not sure but I do think every little bit helps. Oprah had a show on the other day about Giving. She talked about giving of ourselves to help others lift themselves up. One of the charities she spoke about was Kiva.org.

Kiva.org let's you loan money to the working poor. Kiva lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. By choosing a business on Kiva.org, you can "sponsor a business" and help the world's working poor make great strides towards economic independence.

I really liked the idea so I sponsored a woman named Deborah Charles. She is a 31-year-old mother of two in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania who operates a beauty salon and sells clothes (traditional attire commonly known as kanga). Her salon provides all sorts of common styles to her clients ranging from weaving, hair washing, and other beauty-related services. Her salon can now accommodate three customers at a time, and due to the increasing number of her customers, Deborah wants to get more equipment to cater to more customers at one time.

I picked her because I also sell clothes and I love beauty. No matter where you live in the world I think it is a universal female desire to want to look beautiful. Fashion and beauty can seem frivoulous to some but it can do alot for ones self esteem. A new outfit or hairstyle can give a person the lift they need to get over road blocks in their lives. Hopefully with the money I and others have lent her Deborah will be able to grow her business and make a better life for herself and her family.

Check out the site and see if you can make a difference in someone’s life. Cause we're only her for a moment. Make the moment count.

Peace

No comments: