Saturday, March 22, 2008

India Fashion Week Highlights - March 2008 - Part 2

I explored further some of the designers that showed at India Fashion Week. Below I highlighted a few of the designers I liked and some of their designs that really stuck me.:

First let's start with my favorite designer of India Fashion Week: PUJA ARYA


PUJA ARYA - Fashion Week Photos | Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week 2008 - Yahoo! India
PUJA ARYA 'Guzel', Turkish for beautiful - true to the title the Puja Arya's collection was very feminine. A story of harmonious clothes where Rajasthan meets Turkey is emphasised by abstract motifs set against contrasting rich tones and hues of blacks, tile blue, orange, off whites and subdued gold in traditional bead work and sequence patterns. The garments were made fluid by the flirtatious sleeves in the gowns and dresses. Silhouettes revived the memories of the 60s at the same time were very contemporary as models showed off jackets, dresses in short and long lengths, quilted long skirts and quilted coats. The sarees were gorgeous and the prints from the inspiration along with dull gold and mellowed sequence work made them exotic.

I love this dress and the jacket. I would totally wear this for spring. Look at the great detailing on the jacket. The pleating, the buttons, the collar.



I love the unexpected color combinations used here. I don't think you usually see this in Western designs. I also like the pattern on the bag and the bag itself is cute.




I am sooo in love with this coat!! The colors used,the silhouette, the inverted pleats.....Will someone buy it for me PLEASE!!




Lastly she showed several different takes on the Sari. On the left I love how she mixed textures and colors in an unexpected way. I would totally wear that Sari.
On the right I like how she used tie dye and sequins. Both of these could be kitsch and together even more so but I think she was able to make both work to create a beautiful garment.





PRASHANT VERMA - Fashion Week Photos | Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week 2008 - Yahoo! India
PRASHANT VERMA 'Giant' is Prashant's tribute to the incomplete yet perfect mythology of James Dean. His work reflected an aggression of the youth yet retained an elegant spirit of a blossoming flower that dies young. The designer showed a multi-coloured, wide expanse of a fusion of style elements and carefully planned detailing. The silhouettes were fitted, baggy, balloon hems as well as floor length dresses. Fitted pants and wide leg pants both blended in the collection. The colour palette was picked from paint splashed on the walls of yesteryears. Blues, greens, orange, reds, blacks were all teamed with embellishments around the waistlines and necklines.



Here he uses the material from the dress, I highlighted in the first blog where I reviewed these shows, to make a coat. I love the explosion of color.



Another example of the technique or pattern he used, that I talked about in an earlier blog, of using a large face on the material. I like how he placed the face and I think it is a different idea which I appreciate. I like how he used it better in the dress on the right.



I like the pattern and material of this dress. I also like the top part but I'm not crazy about the asymmetrical hem.But that is just me. Anyone like the hem?



No comments: